Reggaeboyz Web Forum Index Reggaeboyz Web
Jamaican Football program and player updates

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"I'm not in Jamaica to lose" - Rene Simoes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reggaeboyz Web Forum Index -> The Reggaeboyz Office
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: "I'm not in Jamaica to lose" - Rene Simoes Reply with quote

Simoes says Boyz can achieve historic repeat
Kayon Raynor
Friday, January 25, 2008

WITH approximately five months remaining before the Reggae Boyz play their first qualifying match
in the South Africa 2010 World Cup campaign, technical director, Rene Simoes, is confident of
taking the country to its second World Cup Final.

Fifteen days after arriving in the island for his second coaching stint, the Brazilian said Wednesday
he is not here to lose.

"I can guarantee you, I'm better today than I was when I left here in 2000," said a philosophical
Simoes at a luncheon of the Rotary Club of Downtown Kingston at the Hilton Kingston Hotel.

Pointing to the experience he has gained since leaving the shores of Jamaica, Simoes added:
"We're not complaining about what we don't have; we're working our plan to convince everybody
to come on board as we seek to qualify the nation for the World Cup," he stated.

Jamaica will play its first qualifier against either The British Virgin Islands or the Bahamas in the
second stage of the CONCACAF Qualifiers in July, and Simoes is predicting good things for the nation.

"I'm not here to lose; I expect to be a winner and qualify the team," reiterated a confident
Simoes, who indicated he has designed a plan to ensure that Jamaica becomes the first English
-speaking Caribbean team to qualify for two World Cup Finals following France 1998.

"I plan for good things," said Simoes, who said he is writing a book about his recent club success
in Brazil last year.

With 35 teams competing for three-and-a-half spots from this region, Simoes knows motivation
will be a key factor in preparing both players and fans to qualify for South Africa.

"I can't motivate Ricardo 'Bibi' Gardner by telling him about buying a car or house because he has
those already, but what I can do is inspire him to become the only Jamaican footballer to
play in two World Cups," Simoes reasoned.

In the meantime, Jamaica will square-off against Costa Rica in their next friendly international
on February 6 at the National Stadium before taking on Caribbean rivals Trinidad & Tobago on
March 26 at the same venue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reggaeboyz Web Forum Index -> The Reggaeboyz Office All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: