Reggaeboyz Web Forum Index Reggaeboyz Web
Jamaican Football program and player updates

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Focus stays on the youth.. Boxhill

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Focus stays on the youth.. Boxhill Reply with quote

JFF boss says not changing course on youth policy
Howard Walker, Observer writer
Saturday, August 04, 2007

President of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), Crenston Boxhill, says will not be relying on the
outstanding performances of the national Under-20 footballers at the recent Pan Am Games as
a lifeline to boost his campaign going into the upcoming JFF voting congress in November.

Boxhill made this position clear to Sporting World at a luncheon hosted by major sponsors Grace Foods
and Services, Digicel and Jamaica Urban Transit Corporation (JUTC), to congratulate the Pan Am
Games silver-medal winning Reggae Boyz at the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel yesterday.

Said Boxhill: "As it relates to lifeline and the political part of it, let the other people be the judge,
I am proud of the achievement of the programme." "My involvement in Jamaica's football has
nothing to do with politics. I came in because I figured that I can make a contribution."

Boxhill also made it abundantly clear that he will not be changing course in terms of his youth policy,
if re-elected in November. "For football to be sustainable you have to build from the bottom up and I
have spent the last three to four years trying to do that and let people buy into that.

"I am pleased that the programme is bearing fruits and we are on our way to achieving greater things.
The programme is alive and well," noted the JFF boss.

The young Reggae Boyz created history by becoming the first national team to win a medal at a
major international tournament, and in the process, defeated football powerhouses Argentina (2-0)
and Mexico (5-4 on penalties). They also beat Colombia (1-0) and Haiti (4-0).

With 11 minutes remaining in regulation time of the final, Jamaica were leading their South American
opponents Ecuador 1-0, but saw their dreams of a gold medal turned to silver within five heart-wrenching
minutes, as Ecuador scored twice to win 2-1 at the Maracana Stadium.

Although the Jamaicans were a bit disappointed, the sponsors saw it fit to treat the young Boyz to a
luncheon and they were given cell phones from Digicel, smart cards from JUTC and food packages
from Grace.

Ryan Mack, general manager Grace Foods & Services, congratulated the Boyz saying "We are very
proud of you and we expect a whole lot more as the programme progresses into the Olympics".
Maurice Bryan, Digicel's sponsorship and promotions manager, said he really wanted to meet the
Boyz at the airport. "That's is how we feel when a great feat has been done. I could not pass up
this opportunity today to say a hearty congratulations to the boys."

Mike Fennell, president of the Jamaica Olympic Association (JOA), was also on hand to sing his praises
to the Boyz. "I must commend the discipline after the penalty decision. I have seen football teams
and when you have a decision like that, one or two players would get red cards, but they are growing
in maturity and the future is bright. The way they played and presented themselves, they did this
country proud," said Fennell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Reggaeboyz Web Forum Index -> News Makers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: